Be courteous to all.. Do you own due diligence. This is a friendly forum meant to exchange ideas. No one has a crystal ball. Anybody can be wrong at any time.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2014 9:46 pm  #1

disscussions about ohrp, wet amd, squalamine

this topic is open for disscussion on ohrp, wet amd, and squalamine.

5/09/2014 11:11 pm  #2

Re: disscussions about ohrp, wet amd, squalamine

This is the first post about squalmaine and ohrp on this board. In the short term todays share price is how the the market sees squalamine drops but in the long run only the data counts

I think that the evidence is there that the drops work with a high degree of certainty.  And the drops should work from what we know; that is the drops work considering the rabbit data and Genaera data.  All that's left is for us to do is to see the DATA IN HUMANS.

Now AF and others are cynical about eye drops working. They would give OHRP a low probaility of success.  But they have no evidence.  Zilch.   Undeniably, the drops have worked in the first patient they were given to. 

Last edited by Admin (5/10/2014 12:58 am)

5/10/2014 12:58 am  #3

Well done L10...  This is really great...  I was so sick of the yahoo board...  Not because of differing opinions...  I encourage differing opinions as it helps me make decisions... However, all I ask is that the opinions are expressed in a sensible, logical, and respectful manner...  Regarding squalamine and OHRP, the pullback has been crazy...  I believe when OHRP announced that results will not be out until June, it has given all the traders free range to do what they want....  As you stated, more data points are needed, but I am just not sure we will get them before June...

5/10/2014 1:00 am  #4

Thank you for doing this!!  Any thoughts about how next week might look?

5/10/2014 1:34 am  #5

I think this is the bottom.  First a fire has been lit under Dr. T and Sam to get the share price up.  Alll the options were at $10+ and OHPR has never revalued options down before. So the pressure is on.  And most importantly, the investors in the shelf who are cozy with directors, possibly being the main shorts above $10, or now down a few dollars. And they are not happy!  Theyt have lost some of their profits on shorting this down. And if they didn't short, they are more unhappy.

The company is moving faster now and listening more. I know the DME study had originally called for BID dosing and that was changed to QID dosing likely on the advice of the clnicians who began understanding the difference between steady state and saturation based on Dr. Elman's work. Over the years, I tried to press this point to Ohr with no luck.

And most of all, the data is probably closed as of next week and will go to the statistician.  At that point, news leaks out.   The only problem right now is the headwinds of negative world events, the burrsting of biotech,  the end of QE,...etc. It may be a bumpy ride after results come out.  I don't know. All I know is that nearly nobody out there thinks squalamine works.  But all the science I've learned says it does work. 

If this keeps dropping then something is wrong.  

5/10/2014 1:47 am  #6

What could go wrong?   Well the worst case is that the data is inconclusive since even the possibilty of side effects was minimized.  Now the problem with that is that if we assume that QID obviates the need for ALL injections in PDR and hence in wet amd,, then logically BID should obviate the need for about half of the injections in PDR and hence in wet amd  Now 50% fewer injections mean about 3 less injections since 6 are expected and that would show a statisticall significance.

When I analyzed squalmaine IV, the response was linear with dose pretty much, since the rate of letters lost was linear with the number of letters gained.  So if 80mg IV per week gave a gain of 10 letters, the only way that gain could be kept was by continuing the 80mg per week dose. And if 40mg per week would gain say 6 letters, again the only way that gain could be kept (at steady state) was by giving 40mg per week and not 20mg per week which resulted in no gains at all, because the rate of diseas progression was faster than the rate of disease elimination..

This may be due to squalamine not binding up vegf as Eylea does so well but instead binding up calmodulin, which leaves vegf floating around just outside the cel  And that keeps NO levels high but the problem is if squalamine levels fall suddenly, then all the vegf is ready to pounce on the vegf receptors immediately and trigger angiogenesis.  So if squalamine levels fall by 50% in 4 days (one half life), then up to 50% calmodulin become free.  Even when Eylea levels fall by 50%, it may take longer than that to produce the vegf and thus extend the time between Eylea doses to a few months.

So the other problem is that the eldelrly patients were underdosing their eyes, skipping doses, ..etc.  Squalamien works best if given twice day since even missing 12 hours will drop the squalamine level by  8% or so. 

Last edited by Admin (5/10/2014 9:12 am)

5/10/2014 2:23 am  #7

the other issue is that the TKI drops cannot work fundamentally in humans and only worked in small animals based on their having been systemically absorbed and then recicrulated back to the retina. I saw one paper, that measured the time a topical drug stayed in the choroid vs the retina and the difference was dramatic.  Half of the drug was cleared from the choroid in 30 minutes, whereas it took an hour or two to clear the retina. Now that tells me that a TKI may build up in the retina, but it is actiive in the choroid and the levels there will be much lower based on the transport equation for drugs, the density x velociy or grams per m2 is a constant.  So the  mass per second entering the choroid  must equal the mass per second leaving the retina assuming that is the only source of drug to the choroid. But as this drug slowly diffuses from the retina and enters the choroid lumen, it's velocity greatly speeds up (by a factor of 100) as it speed through the choroidal circulaton and therefore it' concentration falls greatly so it is not going to be able to occupy TKI/vegf receptors on capillary cell membranes that line the lumen, sufficently to block the TK of the vegf receptor

In other words, over hours alot of drug may exit the retina eventually but it's concentratino DROPS in the choroid lumen due to the sudden increase in transport velocity and this low concentratino fallls below the IC 50 for vegf.

Last edited by Admin (5/10/2014 2:36 am)

5/10/2014 4:11 am  #8

The Genaera report of Oct, 2003 showed no significant difference in response with dosing 25 vs 50 mg/m**2.  Slide titled: "No Notable Difference in Visual Acuity Response in Study Eye By Dosing Group at 2 Months"   That may be PK related.

What would concern me is if BID did not show sufficient response for sufficient number of patients to lead to a significant separation between dosed and placebo.  If there is additional complications from misdiagnosed AMD, plus normal variability this could fail statistically.  It's powered for 1.5 injection difference, but it doesn't take much variability among 30 dosed people to remove that.  That's why I was asking for a hard mean and p value based on previous data.

The depth of the selloff is concerning in itself.  

5/10/2014 5:48 am  #9

Hello everyone and thank you for making the board.

Kutsuki
Long since Dec. 2012

5/10/2014 6:23 am  #10

Admin wrote:

I think this is the bottom.  First a fire has been lit under Dr. T and Sam to get the share price up.  Alll the options were at $10+ and OHPR has never revalued options down before. So the pressure is on.  And most importantly, the investors in the shelf who are cozy with directors, possibly being the main shorts above $10, or now down a few dollars. And they are not happy!  Theyt have lost some of their profits on shorting this down. And if they didn't short, they are more unhappy.

The company is moving faster now and listening more. I know the DME study had originally called for BID dosing and that was changed to QID dosing likely on the advice of the clnicians who began understanding the difference between steady state and saturation based on Dr. Elman's work. Over the years, I tried to press this point to Ohr with no luck.

And most of all, the data is probably closed as of next week and will go to the statistician.  At that point, news leaks out.   The only problem right now is the headwinds of negative world events, the burrsting of biotech,  the end of QE,...etc. It may be a bumpy ride after results come out.  I don't know. All I know is that nearly nobody out there thinks squalamine works.  But all the science I've learned says it does work. 

If this keeps dropping then something is wrong.  

5/10/2014 6:24 am  #11

I'm curious if the QID dosing in yesterday's announcement scared investors into thinking that the BID was insufficient?  Thoughts?  QID starts to sound like a complicated dosing frequency in my opinion...perhaps they know that DME needs more squalamine that AMD?

Thanks for setting up this board!

Last edited by Petro2458 (5/10/2014 7:00 am)

5/10/2014 7:55 am  #12

bill wrote
"The Genaera report of Oct, 2003 showed no significant difference in response with dosing 25 vs 50 mg/m**2.  Slide titled: "No Notable Difference in Visual Acuity Response in Study Eye By Dosing Group at 2 Months"   That may be PK related.

What would concern me is if BID did not show sufficient response for sufficient number of patients to lead to a significant separation between dosed and placebo.  If there is additional complications from misdiagnosed AMD, plus normal variability this could fail statistically.  It's powered for 1.5 injection difference, but it doesn't take much variability among 30 dosed people to remove that.  That's why I was asking for a hard mean and p value based on previous data.

The depth of the selloff is concerning in itself"

Yes your right, it's was PK related.  They are talking about gains 2 months after the LAST DOSE. It may have been 1 month after the last dose, but regardless, squalamine levels decrease by 50% every 4 days, so that by 3 to 4 weeks later, the gains will come down significantly. 

Also they seemed to have the result that the 25mg/m2 and 50mg/m2 gave similar results all through the monthly followups, although I believe that the 50mg/m2 gave signficantly better weekly gains during the first month.  I had asked OHR to put that data up on their website 2 years ago, because it's gone from the internet.

As far as QID vs BID, that may have caused anxieity because the dose this is a 3rd protocall now.  They could have used the Dr. Elman approach but I think they didin't want to HAVE TO see the patients the week after starting them out and that's why they gave them an initial injection which should hold them until the first monthly followup. This seems like it will be SOP to give the patient the first injection as the basis of any protocall unless the doctor wants to see the patient in the following week, except perhaps for wet amd because it has the slowest rate of growth..    DME has very high levels of vegf, comparable to PDR; only wet amd seemed to be the outlier with low levels from the papers I saw and even then some wet amd patients had very high levels..  It was RVO that had the highest due to the acute nature of the blockage, so I wonder how Dr. Wroblewski is fairing.  Anyway, squalamine blocks calmodulin so it shouldn't be a stoichiometric issue with vegf levels.  But who knows?

The sell off is concerning. . And stop losses of longs are being triggered (and to continue playing this great game of speculation we need stop losses) and shorts are reflexively selling too.  The sell off I think is an opportunity in the making because emotions work both ways, to overvalue and undervalule the object of our analyis. We always end up with emotional reasoning influencing rational thinking at the top and bottom of markets.   The question is, what is the value of OHRP eventually going to be.?  It's not like we are buying a house, a loaf of break,..etc something tangible. Therefore we have to be careful

Last edited by Admin (5/10/2014 8:08 am)

5/10/2014 8:28 am  #13

"I'm curious if the QID dosing in yesterday's announcement scared investors into thinking that the BID was insufficient?  Thoughts?  QID starts to sound like a complicated dosing frequency in my opinion...perhaps they know that DME needs more squalamine that AMD?"

The DME has more vegf than wet amd and the doctors wanted to see the patients monthly, not weekly, so they had to give them the standard of care for such a length between visits.

And OHR could increase the concentration to 0.4% and dose bid,, but the QID of 0.2% s going to give a higer average level of squalamine since there will be less variation during the day of the dose, which is important. And we know most importantly that QID has worked in Dr. Elman's patient so this means that these docs must feel that this dosing regimen has worked in his patients,

Wow, this format allows you to edit your posts easily. 

Last edited by Admin (5/10/2014 8:29 am)

5/10/2014 9:33 am  #14

The worst indicator I see is the heavy volume in the selloff for the last 3 days.  A 1 mth or weekly chart of price and moving avg volume shows this well.  As of Apr 30, 1.3M shares were short. That's almost 10% of the float and up 14% from Apr 15.   The numbers get updated May 15.  Be nice to know if Marcin still has his position as well.  

5/10/2014 9:49 am  #15

Friday's selloff was mindboggling.  I never expected this, but the shelf was the beginning of the panic.  To understand this, I've removed the entire price movement from January to late April from my mental view of the stock.  All that movement up was part of the now 'infamous biotech bubble'  (hey the index is IBB too).  Now we are down about 33%  from  $10, which is to me is the top price of this stock as determined by the shelf and by the price action over the last year.

We were at dot com prices and now are being valued back at what this is realistically worth at this stage of development.    

Board footera